Depressed Mommy 101

Journeying through the darkness of Post Partum Depression as seen through the eyes of....me, a Russian Orthodox mother of 3.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

What is PPD?

Post Partum Depression is an illness that affects 25% of women giving birth. It doesn't discriminate against age or lifestyle. It is NOT the baby blues that is sadness lasting a few hours to a few days. It's an illness that attacks the brain and messes with the seratonin levels. It isn't just a matter of being "depressed", one can't just pull themselves out of it. I have talked to some women who have experienced undiagnosed PPD that has lasted only a few weeks. But the women I know of , that have a diagnosis from their doctor, has suffered for months and a few, even years. Now I am NOT a medical doctor, nor do I have any special training, I only have my experience and research I have done to go by. DO NOT use my experience as a self diagnosis tool or for a medication plan. I have learned so much through this journey that I want other women and their families to be able to find help when they feel hopeless. Let my words be an encouragement to you. PPD can rob a woman of her ability to function on a normal daily basis. It can induce days and days of sleep. The appetite can cease to exsist-no, it's not a good weight loss tool. It can take a strong, independent woman and reduce her to a bag of uncontrollable emotions, feelings and actions. There are two types of PPD. The first is what I have described above and the second is all this with an added dose of pychosis. PPD with pychosis is more known to the public since this can be fatal to both the mother and/or her family. The media is quick to report the results of PPD/pychosis as opposed to educating the public before it's too late. Brook Shields and Marie Osmond have taken steps by writing their own personal stories about PPD to help those and their families suffering. The thing about PPD is you don't know if you will wake up one day and be psycotic. I had family members ask my husband and mom if my children would be safe with me. I was monitored very closely by my husband, mom, doctor and friends. I wish that Andrea Yates would have had the same support I had-who knows maybe she did. What the public must understand about this illness is it is SERIOUS and not something to be brushed aside, it can also influence the persons personality, actions, feelings, thoughts and responses, AND, IT IS TREATABLE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home