Depressed Mommy 101

Journeying through the darkness of Post Partum Depression as seen through the eyes of....me, a Russian Orthodox mother of 3.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Say "hive" to the doctor for me

Andrew was coming on 3 months of age. I had already had a nasty case of mastitis and was now nursing my second bout of it. I had been on a good dose of penicillin the first time and it took care of it. This time I reacted in full body hives. I woke on a Sunday preparing for my sons baptism. In the orthodox church this is a grand celebration for the family and church as well. I woke with hives covering my cheeks, eyebrows, eye lids etc. It wasn't an option not to attend my own sons baptism, so I went hives and all. As the service progressed I grew less and less attached to anything or anyone there. I got through the service and headed for the beautiful brunch prepared for us. Someone brought me a plate of food and I just started crying and panicking. I knew I couldn't eat it and started pacing like a caged animal. What was supposed to be a wonderful occasion in my sons life turned out to be the beginning of an official nightmare for me. Now up to this date in time I was progressively getting worse but didn't have a clue as to what to do. The uncontrollable crying wouldn't stop. The severe anxiety attacks wouldn't let up and people continued to question my ability to care for my children. Finally Andrews Godmother suggested I head to a walk in clinic to get help immediately. My priest was gone already and I sought out Matushka (his wife) to give her the heads up of me possibly getting some medication to help. I left my son, older children and husband and went with my mom to the nearest clinic. I didn't know what I needed at this point I just know I needed something to get me through the next 24 hours without falling off the edge of reality. Much to my dismay the doctor wasn't at the clinic and he was to contact me via phone later that day. When he finally called I just cried and told him what was happening. He prescribed Paxil and Clonazapin for my depression and anxiety. At three months I had to make the decision for my own sanity to stop nursing Andrew. Clonazapin isn't approved for nursing and in my opinion neither is mastitis. The next morning I woke to hives covering my entire body and begged my husband to stay home and help me with the kids. At 4am my mom drove me to the ER and they proceeded to give me a dose of epinephrine and benadryl. Note from my earlier posting my reactions to benadryl. I also have a heart murmur and don't need an added jolt of "epi" to jump start my heart. Needless to say NONE of this was helpful. I saw my OB later that day and he put me on a steroid to rid the hives and mastitis. Ahhhhhh some relief was in sight. I don't recall the next events of my life as I went out of commission emotionally for two full weeks. Cried hard and uncontrollably, slept 16-20 hours a day and could barely force a spoonful of food down me. My mom moved in with us and took two weeks off work to care for the family and me. She happens to work at the clinic where my doctors all are so everyone became very aware of my situation and incredibly supportive. My OB referred me to my primary not thinking I was suffering from PPD but didn't quite feel comfortable dealing with anti dep. and a new mom.
My primary finally diagnosed me with severe postpartum Depression and thus started the education for all.

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Fr. Matthew said...

Look at you go. I am still trying to get my net service activated. Great to see you have an outlet for stuff.


Matthew

 

Post a Comment

<< Home