Depressed Mommy 101

Journeying through the darkness of Post Partum Depression as seen through the eyes of....me, a Russian Orthodox mother of 3.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

What can I do NOW to help???

I have been wondering how exactly can I help other mothers who are suffering from PPD. Even though I have experienced it I still feel very inadequate in the area of making someone else feel better. When you are suffering, you just want to feel better NOW. Knowing you'll be fine in a year or so doesn't help when you just started the journey. Looking back I remember things that either I did or were done for me that helped me get through each critical moment. The following is a list of tangible ideas that may be helpful:
1. Drink at least 2 quarts of water a day.
2. Start walking ( I did laps in my back yard while the baby slept)
3. DON'T watch dramas on TV (especially about mothers or parenting)
4. DON'T watch the news either or read the Newspapers. The seriousness of the issues can aggravate the already existing negative feelings.
5. Family members need to allow her to sleep as needed that means holding and caring for the baby for hours and hours during the day.
6. Don't force her to eat, but offer lots of choices. The only thing I could choke down was roast beef sandwiches from a local sandwich shop.
7. Offer "ensure" type of drinks for nutrition if she can't eat.
8. Take Omega 3 capsules (fish oil-known to help depression)
9. I played Orthodox chanting over and over-very comforting
10. I read books on Saints-one after another. It helps to take your mind off yourself
11. Take over all household duties-dishes, laundry, cleaning etc. I had a friend come in once a week to clean my kitchen and bathroom. And my mom in law made my bed every day so it felt fresh to crawl into.
12. I surrounded myself with icons-especially the Theotokos (Mother of God) and St.s Herman, Seraphim of Sarrov and John of Shanghai.
13. After seeking medical help I found Clonzapan helpful with controlling my anxiety attacks. It's fast acting and leaves the system quickly. Can make you drowsy though. This was the only beneficial medication I felt I was on.
14. Having too many people in the same room was way overwhelming for me. Though having one visitor sometimes helped.
15. IF POSSIBLE-seek out an experienced homeopath practioner who can address the illness naturally.
16. Have a "sunlight" lamp around to sit under if the days are gloomy, I have one on my bed side table.
17. Keep in contact with your spiritual father/priest-attend the church services as often as you can.
18. DON'T BE ASHAMED TO ADMIT FEELINGS! PPD brings out LOTS of horrible emotions that are not part of your normal personality. You have to talk about them, it allows your loved ones and doctors to gage where you are in the illness.
19. REMEMBER-it's a physical illness, it's not something YOU can control. This is a challenge to remember for those of us with controlling personalities.
The most important thing I should have started my list out with is
Seek medical help. If your OB is unfamiliar with PPD then seek out your general practioner. If he/she is unfamiliar, help to educate them. Being monitored by your doctor is very important with this illness.
If you are still needing more info. please leave a comment and I'll try and address it.
Tomorrow Andrew will be 11 months old. I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my illness. As of today I feel 99% better then I have all year, and am still off all medications. I do, however, still see a homeopath nurse practioner that monitors my illness.
But I can look back without wincing now, and I can see the future. Sometimes I let out a big "Whew!" knowing where I was, and how I got through it. Truly, by the Grace of God!

1 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Many of your "tangible ideas" would be great for all mother's to follow especially during their 40 days. It's tough having a new baby! and then add in all the other work like keeping the house and if this isn't your first child...whoa! We, as women and as mother's, need to help each other out. And, it's always good to drink lots of water:) Thanks for sharing this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home