Depressed Mommy 101

Journeying through the darkness of Post Partum Depression as seen through the eyes of....me, a Russian Orthodox mother of 3.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Another mom

I ran into an old friend yesterday. She had her daughter with her and I commented that her daughter had turned 3 in December. She was surprised how I could remember that. I told the last time we saw each other was when her daughter had just been born and I was pregnant with Andrew. I remember her commenting on how hard and awful it was, just giving birth, having other children at home and recovering from a c-section. I was due to have my 3rd c-section. I remember being really happy and confident, but feeling a little sad for her. I wasn't sure why she was so negative. Back to yesterday, I told her how I had been hit with the PPD and she said she thinks she is still suffering. I was surprised and asked if she was serious. She commented that she still feels depressed.
My heart felt so sad for her. I wondered if she had the support that I had and assumed she isn't medicated. I continued to shop with Andrew filling my arms with birthday paraphernalia and trying to keep him from grabbing everything in sight. I checked out, with Andrew held with my legs since he continued to make his escape. I was smiling during my almost 3 year olds chaos. I smiled as we got into the car and continued to smile all the way home. I don't know about my friends experience with PPD, I wonder why am I ok, and she's not. I wonder if it has anything to do with her question as to what church I go to now. I wonder if it is because of all the tools I used while sick. I wonder if I should have tried to spend more time with her yesterday, I wonder if I should have been a better friend and, as my hubby says, use my experience to empathize with her instead of heading home. I don't think my meeting with her was just by chance, I think I will try and look her up and check on her now.

2 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Juliana,

I found your blog via your hubby, Papa Herman, which I read frequently.

Thank you for telling your story. As I read it, it helped me realize that I suffered with PPD when my son was born 26 years ago. I contributed it to other circumstances, but now see how wrong I was.

I now struggle with severe depression and take an anti-depressant for 2 years now. For the first time in my life I know what it feels like to be calm and smile for real.

You will have a wonderful time at the beach! I suspect that your memories will not cause you pause and further suspect that when you reflect on them through the clear eyes which you now have been blessed with, you will be grateful for having experienced the suffering for it has brought you closer to God and has brought you deeper appreciation for the simple things in life.

I look forward to reading about your trip. Smile into the sun for me. It has been too many years since I've been to the beach...almost a holy place for me.

Love, Philippa

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these blog sites. I am a survivor of 27 years of depression and several years of chronic fatigue syndrome. My adult children suffered, and I still have bouts when I am not completely there! The disease was diagnosed, but my then husband chose to ignore the tools, and leave me with the family, and financial needs at times. The family consisted of one with chronic pulmunary disease. I said, and did horrible things. I am the victim, and I am the villain, my children still don't know about the illness. I used the symptoms to build a park. I couldn't stay with business plans due to divided time with family and my bouts of depression. I call my park the "tepee of sorrow" and am finishing a book. My children still blame me, and do not have the tools. I recently went through a separation with them, one of the huge hurdles is that I am a caretaker a nurturing mom. Only they are adults and want it now. I took care of ill children, and fighting adolescents. I didn't do the adolescent thing well. Maybe it was depression, but it was also I don't like battles. I keep my agreements, and I really go off when adults don't keep theirs now.
Are there any mom's suffering the estrangement from family because they don't understand the disease? It is great that others love me, and their children, and I try to use that to fill the void. My children and ex took me to court to get custody of my youngest. There was a lot of lying involved, using my disease. Again, the courts didn't demand therapy and read the letters of support from people who saw all sides, and are using the tools to help me. Plese let me know if you are an estranged villain when we all know the mental illness is the villain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home